Wednesday 23 September 2009

Motivation needed

A month ago I was all excited about running 10 miles at almost race pace. I even said that I was secretly hoping to run the half-marathon in 2:30 instead of the 2:45 that had been my previous goal.

Then I had a bad run, and life got busier, and I've started to sabotage myself. I've been overweight my entire life and the fact that I was training for a half-marathon never truly sunk in. I still don't feel like a real runner. I started skipping long runs, occassionally even skipping short runs. For the past 4 weeks I've done no long runs on the weekends.

Now, 4 days before I'm due to run the half-marathon I'm really kicking myself for letting it go this far. I don't want to quit!

This is what my training schedule looks like
(The schedule required three runs a week, plus I like my Saturday balance class. Those in green I did, the pinky colour is for when I didn't do them on the day but I did them the day after or day before, and the red is the ones I skipped entirely.)


As you can see, I've done about 68% of the scheduled mileage. I'm 99% sure I won't be able to do the entire course at race pace, since my runs home lately have been slower than they were 4 weeks ago. But I think I'm going to try and finish anyways.

Trust me, I've thought about skipping it and forfeiting the entry fee. I've thought about it alot! The streets are opened up to traffic after 3.5 hours so hopefully I finish before then!!

- CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment